When you’re looking to remodel or renovate your home it’s always best to know the style you’re going for. But what if you don’t know what your style is? Well, no need to worry—we’ve got your back!
Before you head into the showroom or start working with someone to redo your home, lock in your own personal style.
7 Steps to Find Your Style
- Take note of the design elements you have in your home already that you love.
- Pin/clip/archive/save pics of design examples that you like, creating an inspiration board.
- Learn more about different home styles (like the ones described below) and jot down the ones that entice you and why.
- Use Pinterest or Houzz to look for images of the different styles to add to your board.
- Go to malls, hotels, and showrooms to take pictures of the design elements that catch your eye.
- Examine the through-lines between what you have that you love and what you’ve found for your inspiration board. What styles connect all these elements?
- If all else fails, or for a little extra assistance, take a quiz!
Tips From A Designer
We spoke with Carlo LaCuesta from JSN Studio in L.A., a designer who’s had the pleasure of helping to decorate homes from coast to coast and overseas. He helped us come up with our strategy for finding your style. He also gave us a few tips on the process.
First of all, if you don’t identify with any particular style, don’t sweat it! You can always take from a smattering of styles. This is about what makes you happy.
Next, don’t expect to get it just right the first time. There will be some back and forth between you and your designer until you begin to understand each other. But don’t worry, you’ll get there!
Finally, most manufacturers have return policies. So, don’t stress about having to return something if it doesn’t work out! This is a process to find the home design that is perfect for you. It will take time, there may be some returns, but it will all be worth it.
Home Decor Styles
Our Designer’s Hot Picks for 2022
LaCuesta let us in on a few of the styles he’s seeing more of recently. Organic Modern and Wabi-sabi are super popular at the moment, while Cottagecore is gaining notice.
- Clean lines and less clutter give a minimalist sense
- Smooth surfaces and rounded shapes bring comfort
- Warm, neutral, earthy colors
- Natural materials, like reclaimed wood, stone, leather, linen, and concrete
- See examples here!
- Flooring: hardwood or wood-look, stone, slate, or limestone tile, all in neutral colors. Try using flooring that flows from indoors to outdoors! Rugs of natural materials.
- Simplicity, with plenty of negative space
- Build around functional pieces, like furniture
- Embrace the imperfections with unfinished edges and imperfect accessories
- Use natural materials and bring nature inside
- Authentic and unique pieces, nothing mass-produced
- Flooring: plain, smooth surface, stone/slate, concrete, ceramic tile, or terrazzo.
10 Most Popular Styles of 2022 According to Bustling Nest
- Light colors, like white, gray, and pastels
- Clean lines
- Lots of empty space with minimal clutter because less is always more
- Large-scale art
- Flooring: light hardwood, laminate, tile, bamboo
- Comfortable, with soft textures, and multi-functional
- Vintage, industrial, and minimalist
- Glass, concrete, and metal
- Feature wall
- Play with scale
- Flooring: Simple, white, gray, or wood-look
- “Traditional elegance with contemporary lines and textiles.”
- Rugs and throw pillows to accessorize, but use minimally
- Curved furniture
- Wood, rattan, and steel surfaces
- It should be comfortable, yet effortless
- Flooring: warm, hardwood floors or oversized tile
Other Common Home Decor Styles:
- Black & gray colors
- Worn, metal accents, raw wood, exposed pipes and brick—an unfinished look
- Vintage furniture
- Flooring: distressed wood or cement-like tile
What’s Your Style?
So, you’ve taken the steps, you’ve done the research, have you figured it out? Are you traditional? Modern? Perhaps, a Cottagecore lover? Or are you more Eclectic than anything else? Well, we hope that we’ve aided you in finding a direction to head. Now the only thing left to do is head into that showroom and start designing. Good luck!
How Can Graham’s Flooring & Design Help?
We love it when you arrive with an idea of what you’d like, but we also understand that finding your style takes time and information. We’d be happy to help! Contact us today to set up an appointment and we will find you the ideal flooring, countertops, and backsplashes for your home design! Carpet, hardwood, vinyl, laminate, tile…we’ve got it all and we are experts in our field!
For Loveland and Fort Collins flooring and installation, contact Graham’s Flooring & Design today! And for more information on flooring, design, and remodeling, read our blog.